Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Convenience...

I like all things convenient. It is probably one of the reasons I like living in the city, everything is just around the corner. The only problem with this is that it allows me to spend all the time, there is always something to "grab" on my way home.

Well, today was my first collision with convenience. For the third day in a row I left my trusty headphones at home. On any normal day in my life I would just stop by Walgreen's on my way to work, spend $10 and go about my day. Not today. Today I just walked to work and didn't stop.

I learned two things about myself today. First, as previously noted during this fast, planning ahead pays off. If I would have put my headphones with my bag last night before bed I wouldn't have even been tempted to stop. This seems like a simple thing but in the evening when I am focused on getting the little guy to bed and making sure the house is in livable condition, planning ahead is not a top priority. I should work on that.

Second, I realized how much my surroundings impact me. This is not earth shattering in any way, but it is eye opening on this particular day. My surroundings enable me to by lazy and acquire more "things" than I need. Do I really need two pairs of headphones. Obviously not since I only have one set of ears.

So the challenge for today is to take a minute and really think about your surroundings. Where do you live? Where do you work? What conveniences do you use more than you should? You might be surprised like I was about how much you have conformed to the world around you.

As Christians we are reminded to be mindful of these things:

Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

No comments: